LIVE SCORING / WEATHER
ODESSA, Texas (October 7, 2013) – The Lubbock Christian University Chaparrals open their Heartland Conference schedule Monday at noon facing University of Texas of the Permian Basin on the road.
CHAPS FLIGHT DECK
• The Lubbock Christian University Chaparrals are seeking to rebound from a 2-1 loss Thursday at Eastern New Mexico, which ended a two-game win streak, as they play their first Heartland Conference game in program history.
• The game is the final game of a two-game road trip.
• LCU is 1-2-0 in road games this season and 15-12-5 all-time on the road.
• Last season, playing in the NAIA's Sooner Athletic Conference, LCU went 3-4-1 in conference games.
• LCU is led in points by Billy Forbes, who has nine goals in seven games. Forbes has all but four of the team's 14 goals on the season. He also has 37 (of 98) of the team's shots and 18 of the team's 40 shots-on-goal. Forbes is the Heartland Conference's only two-time Offensive Player of the Week recipient this season.
• Chaparrals head coach Matt Barnes has an all-time coaching record of 7-0-3 when coaching in conference contests. Prior to joining the Chaps, Barnes was coaching Embry Riddle (Ariz.), who competed in the NAIA's California Pacific Conference.
• The Chaparrals are 2-1-0 this season against ranked programs. LCU defeated No.18 (NAIA) Texas Wesleyan (Sept. 21) 2-1 and followed with a 3-0 win over No.13 Texas-Permian Basin (Sept. 23). Their loss was to No.14 West Texas A&M. LCU is 2-3-1 all-time against ranked opponents.
• LCU is 2-0-1 all-time in conference openers. All three prior conference openers were in the SAC.
• Opponents have out-shot LCU 53-40 in shots-on-goal this season. Only twice has LCU had the upper hand in that category this season (9-6 advantage over Huston-Tillotson on Sept. 14 and 7-4 advantage over UTPB on Sept. 23).
• The Falcons have dropped four straight games and five of their last six games. They enter the game with a 4-5 record.
• UTPB was ranked as high as No.13 until their string of losses has knocked them out of the rankings.
• At home, UTPB holds a 2-1 record.
• The Falcons are entering the game following an 8-0 road loss at No.12 West Texas A&M. UTPB allowed two goals in the opening nine minutes of the game.
• Nathan Cotterell leads the Heartland Conference with 22 points. He has eight goals and six assists on the season.
SERIES HISTORY WITH UTPB
• The Chaparrals lead the all-time series 1-0-0.
• LCU won the only prior meeting 3-0 (Sept. 23, 2013) in Lubbock in a non-conference meeting.
• Billy Forbes had a pair of goals for LCU in the prior meeting.